Facilities and Grounds

Good Shepherd Lutheran Church was established on Decorah’s west side on November 24, 1958. In November 1957, when the parcel of land that was to become the spacious church grounds on Iowa Avenue was purchased, it was a sheep pasture. Construction of the original section of the church building, which included the sanctuary, Sunday School rooms, offices, fellowship room, and kitchen, began in the summer and continued into the fall of 1958.

An addition was completed and dedicated on November 20, 1988, the 30th anniversary of the congregation. The addition includes a new, larger sanctuary, narthex, offices, a nursery, sacristy, and restrooms. The original sanctuary became the multipurpose Fellowship Hall and new kitchen. The library, facilities for a preschool, and Sunday School space now occupy the area between the original church building and the addition.